731214 - Chanting CC Adi-lila 8th Chapter Verses 1-85 - Los Angeles
(The Author Receives the Orders of Kṛṣṇa and Guru)
Prabhupāda: 8th chapter Caitanya-caritāmṛta Ādi-līlā.
- vande caitanya-devaṁ taṁ
- bhagavantaṁ yad-icchayā
- prasabhaṁ nartyate citraṁ
- lekha-raṅge jaḍo ’py ayam
I offer my respects to the Supreme Personality of Godhead, Śrī Caitanya Mahāprabhu, by whose desire I have become like a dancing dog and suddenly taken to the writing of Śrī Caitanya-caritāmṛta, although I am a fool.
- jaya jaya śrī-kṛṣṇa-caitanya gauracandra
- jaya jaya paramānanda jaya nityānanda
Let me offer my respectful obeisances unto Śrī Kṛṣṇa Caitanya Mahāprabhu, who is known as Gaurasundara. I also offer my respectful obeisances unto Nityānanda Prabhu, who is always very joyful.
- jaya jayādvaita ācārya kṛpāmaya
- jaya jaya gadādhara paṇḍita mahāśaya
Let me offer my respectful obeisances unto Advaita Ācārya, who is very merciful, and also to that great personality Gadādhara Paṇḍita, the learned scholar.
- jaya jaya śrīvāsādi yata bhakta-gaṇa
- praṇata ha-iyā vandoṅ sabāra caraṇa
Let me offer my respectful obeisances unto Śrīvāsa Ṭhākura and all the other devotees of the Lord. I fall down to offer them respect. I worship their lotus feet.
- mūka kavitva kare yāṅ-sabāra smaraṇe
- paṅgu giri laṅghe, andha dekhe tārā-gaṇe
By remembering the lotus feet of the Pañca-tattva, a dumb man can become a poet, a lame man can cross mountains, and a blind man can see the stars in the sky.
- e-saba nā māne yei paṇḍita sakala
- tā-sabāra vidyā-pāṭha bheka-kolāhala
The education cultivated by so-called learned scholars who do not believe these statements of Śrī Caitanya-caritāmṛta is like the tumultuous croaking of frogs.
- ei saba nā māne yebā kare kṛṣṇa-bhakti
- kṛṣṇa-kṛpā nāhi tāre, nāhi tāra gati
One who does not accept the glories of the Pañca-tattva but still makes a show of devotional service to Kṛṣṇa can never achieve the mercy of Kṛṣṇa or advance to the ultimate goal.
- pūrve yaiche jarāsandha-ādi rāja-gaṇa
- veda-dharma kari’ kare viṣṇura pūjana
Formerly kings like Jarāsandha [the father-in-law of Kaṁsa] strictly followed the Vedic rituals, thus worshiping Lord Viṣṇu.
- kṛṣṇa nāhi māne, tāte daitya kari’ māni
- caitanya nā mānile taiche daitya tāre jāni
One who does not accept Kṛṣṇa as the Supreme Personality of Godhead is certainly a demon. Similarly, anyone who does not accept Śrī Caitanya Mahāprabhu as Kṛṣṇa, the same Supreme Lord, is also to be considered a demon.
- more nā mānile saba loka habe nāśa
- ithi lāgi’ kṛpārdra prabhu karila sannyāsa
Lord Śrī Caitanya Mahāprabhu thought, “Unless people accept Me they will all be destroyed.” Thus the merciful Lord accepted the sannyāsa order.
- sannyāsi-buddhye more karibe namaskāra
- tathāpi khaṇḍibe duḥkha, pāibe nistāra
“If a person offers obeisances to Me, even due to accepting Me only as an ordinary sannyāsī, his material distresses will diminish, and he will ultimately get liberation.”
- hena kṛpāmaya caitanya nā bhaje yei jana
- sarvottama ha-ileo tāre asure gaṇana
One who does not show respect unto this merciful Lord, Caitanya Mahāprabhu, or does not worship Him should be considered a demon, even if he is very much exalted in human society.
- ataeva punaḥ kahoṅ ūrdhva-bāhu hañā
- caitanya-nityānanda bhaja kutarka chāḍiyā
Therefore I say again, lifting my arms: O fellow human beings, please worship Śrī Caitanya and Nityānanda without false arguments!
- yadi vā tārkika kahe,—tarka se pramāṇa
- tarka-śāstre siddha yei, sei sevyamāna
Logicians say, “Unless one gains understanding through logic and argument, how can one decide upon a worshipable Deity?”
- śrī-kṛṣṇa-caitanya-dayā karaha vicāra
- vicāra karile citte pābe camatkāra
If you are indeed interested in logic and argument, kindly apply it to the mercy of Śrī Caitanya Mahāprabhu. If you do so, you will find it to be strikingly wonderful.
- bahu janma kare yadi śravaṇa, kīrtana
- tabu ta’ nā pāya kṛṣṇa-pade prema-dhana
If one is infested with the ten offenses in the chanting of the Hare Kṛṣṇa mahā-mantra, despite his endeavor to chant the holy name for many births, he will not get the love of Godhead that is the ultimate goal of this chanting.
- jñānataḥ su-labhā muktir
- bhuktir yajñādi-puṇyataḥ
- seyaṁ sādhana-sāhasrair
- hari-bhaktiḥ su-durlabhā
“By cultivating philosophical knowledge one can understand his spiritual position and thus be liberated, and by performing sacrifices and pious activities one can achieve sense gratification in a higher planetary system, but the devotional service of the Lord is so rare that even by executing hundreds and thousands of such sacrifices one cannot obtain it.”
- kṛṣṇa yadi chuṭe bhakte bhukti mukti diyā
- kabhu prema-bhakti nā dena rākhena lukāiyā
If a devotee wants liberation or material sense gratification from the Lord, Kṛṣṇa immediately delivers it, but pure devotional service He keeps hidden.
- rājan patir gurur alaṁ bhavatāṁ yadūnāṁ
- daivaṁ priyaḥ kula-patiḥ kva ca kiṅkaro vaḥ
- astv evam aṅga bhagavān bhajatāṁ mukundo
If a devotee wants liberation or material sense gratification from the Lord, Kṛṣṇa immediately delivers it, but pure devotional service He keeps hidden.
- hena prema śrī-caitanya dilā yathā tathā
- jagāi mādhāi paryanta—anyera kā kathā
Lord Śrī Caitanya Mahāprabhu has freely given this love of Kṛṣṇa everywhere and anywhere, even to the most fallen, such as Jagāi and Mādhāi. What then to speak of those who are already pious and elevated?
- svatantra īśvara prema-nigūḍha-bhāṇdāra
- bilāila yāre tāre, nā kaila vicāra
Śrī Caitanya Mahāprabhu, as the Supreme Personality of Godhead Himself, is fully independent. Therefore, although it is the most confidentially stored benediction, He can distribute love of Godhead to anyone and everyone without consideration.
- adyāpiha dekha caitanya-nāma yei laya
- kṛṣṇa-preme pulakāśru-vihvala se haya
Whether he is offensive or inoffensive, anyone who even now chants śrī-kṛṣṇa-caitanya prabhu-nityānanda is immediately overwhelmed with ecstasy, and tears fill his eyes.
- ‘nityānanda’ balite haya kṛṣṇa-premodaya
- āulāya sakala aṅga, aśru-gaṅgā vaya
Simply by talking of Nityānanda Prabhu one awakens his love for Kṛṣṇa. Thus all his bodily limbs are agitated by ecstasy, and tears flow from his eyes like the waters of the Ganges.
- ‘kṛṣṇa-nāma’ kare aparādhera vicāra
- kṛṣṇa balile aparādhīra nā haya vikāra
There are offenses to be considered while chanting the Hare Kṛṣṇa mantra. Therefore simply by chanting Hare Kṛṣṇa one does not become ecstatic.
- tad aśma-sāraṁ hṛdayaṁ batedaṁ
- yad gṛhyamāṇair hari-nāma-dheyaiḥ
- na vikriyetātha yadā vikāro
- netre jalaṁ gātra-ruheṣu harṣaḥ
“If one’s heart does not change, tears do not flow from his eyes, his body does not shiver, and his bodily hairs do not stand on end as he chants the Hare Kṛṣṇa mahā-mantra, it should be understood that his heart is as hard as iron. This is due to his offenses at the lotus feet of the Lord’s holy name.”
- ‘eka’ kṛṣṇa-nāme kare sarva-pāpa nāśa
- premera kāraṇa bhakti karena prakāśa
Simply chanting the Hare Kṛṣṇa mahā-mantra without offenses vanquishes all sinful activities. Thus pure devotional service, which is the cause of love of Godhead, becomes manifest.
- premera udaye haya premera vikāra
- sveda-kampa-pulakādi gadgadāśrudhāra
When one’s transcendental loving service to the Lord is actually awakened, it generates transformations in the body such as perspiration, trembling, throbbing of the heart, faltering of the voice and tears in the eyes.
- anāyāse bhava-kṣaya, kṛṣṇera sevana
- eka kṛṣṇa-nāmera phale pāi eta dhana
As a result of chanting the Hare Kṛṣṇa mahā-mantra, one makes such great advancement in spiritual life that simultaneously his material existence terminates and he receives love of Godhead. The holy name of Kṛṣṇa is so powerful that by chanting even one name, one very easily achieves these transcendental riches.
- hena kṛṣṇa-nāma yadi laya bahu-bāra
- tabu yadi prema nahe, nahe aśrudhāra
- tabe jāni, aparādha tāhāte pracura
- kṛṣṇa-nāma-bīja tāhe nā kare aṅkura
If one chants the exalted holy name of the Lord again and again and yet his love for the Supreme Lord does not develop and tears do not appear in his eyes, it is evident that because of his offenses in chanting, the seed of the holy name of Kṛṣṇa does not sprout.
- caitanya-nityānande nāhi e-saba vicāra
- nāma laite prema dena, vahe aśrudhāra
But if one only chants, with some slight faith, the holy names of Lord Caitanya and Nityānanda, very quickly he is cleansed of all offenses. Thus as soon as he chants the Hare Kṛṣṇa mahā-mantra, he feels the ecstasy of love for God.
- svatantra īśvara prabhu atyanta udāra
- tāṅre nā bhajile kabhu nā haya nistāra
Śrī Caitanya Mahāprabhu, the independent Supreme Personality of Godhead, is greatly magnanimous. Unless one worships Him, one can never be liberated.
- ore mūḍha loka, śuna caitanya-maṅgala
- caitanya-mahimā yāte jānibe sakala
O fools, just read Śrī Caitanya-maṅgala! By reading this book you can understand all the glories of Śrī Caitanya Mahāprabhu.
- kṛṣṇa-līlā bhāgavate kahe veda-vyāsa
- caitanya-līlāra vyāsa—vṛndāvana-dāsa
As Vyāsadeva has compiled all the pastimes of Lord Kṛṣṇa in Śrīmad-Bhāgavatam, Ṭhākura Vṛndāvana dāsa has depicted the pastimes of Lord Caitanya.
- vṛndāvana-dāsa kaila ‘caitanya-maṅgala’
- yāṅhāra śravaṇe nāśe sarva amaṅgala
Ṭhākura Vṛndāvana dāsa has composed Śrī Caitanya-maṅgala. Hearing this book annihilates all misfortune.
- caitanya-nitāira yāte jāniye mahimā
- yāte jāni kṛṣṇa-bhakti-siddhāntera sīmā
By reading Śrī Caitanya-maṅgala one can understand all the glories and truths of Lord Caitanya and Nityānanda and come to the ultimate conclusion of devotional service to Lord Kṛṣṇa.
- bhāgavate yata bhakti-siddhāntera sāra
- likhiyāchena iṅhā jāni’ kariyā uddhāra
In Śrī Caitanya-maṅgala [later known as Śrī Caitanya-bhāgavata] Śrīla Vṛndāvana dāsa Ṭhākura has given the conclusion and essence of devotional service by quoting the authoritative statements of Śrīmad-Bhāgavatam.
- ‘caitanya-maṅgala’ śune yadi pāṣaṇḍī, yavana
- seha mahā-vaiṣṇava haya tatakṣaṇa
If even a great atheist hears Śrī Caitanya-maṅgala, he immediately becomes a great devotee.
- manuṣye racite nāre aiche grantha dhanya
- vṛndāvana-dāsa-mukhe vaktā śrī-caitanya
The subject matter of this book is so sublime that it appears that Śrī Caitanya Mahāprabhu has personally spoken through the writings of Śrī Vṛndāvana dāsa Ṭhākura.
- vṛndāvana-dāsa-pade koṭi namaskāra
- aiche grantha kari’ teṅho tārilā saṁsāra
I offer millions of obeisances unto the lotus feet of Vṛndāvana dāsa Ṭhākura. No one else could write such a wonderful book for the deliverance of all fallen souls.
- nārāyaṇī—caitanyera ucchiṣṭa-bhājana
- tāṅra garbhe janmilā śrī-dāsa-vṛndāvana
Nārāyaṇī eternally eats the remnants of the food of Caitanya Mahāprabhu. Śrīla Vṛndāvana dāsa Ṭhākura was born of her womb.
- tāṅra ki adbhuta caitanya-carita-varṇana
- yāhāra śravaṇe śuddha kaila tri-bhuvana
What a wonderful description he has given of the pastimes of Lord Caitanya! Anyone in the three worlds who hears it is purified.
- ataeva bhaja, loka, caitanya-nityānanda
- khaṇḍibe saṁsāra-duḥkha, pābe premānanda
I fervently appeal to everyone to adopt the method of devotional service given by Lord Caitanya and Nityānanda and thus be freed from the miseries of material existence and ultimately achieve the loving service of the Lord.
- vṛndāvana-dāsa kaila ‘caitanya-maṅgala’
- tāhāte caitanya-līlā varṇila sakala
Śrīla Vṛndāvana dāsa Ṭhākura has written Śrī Caitanya-maṅgala and therein described in all respects the pastimes of Lord Caitanya.
- sūtra kari’ saba līlā karila granthana
- pāche vistāriyā tāhāra kaila vivaraṇa
He first summarized all the pastimes of the Lord and later described them vividly in detail.
- caitanya-candrera līlā ananta apāra
- varṇite varṇite grantha ha-ila vistāra
The pastimes of Lord Caitanya are unlimited and unfathomable. Therefore, in describing all those pastimes, the book became voluminous.
- vistāra dekhiyā kichu saṅkoca haila mana
- sūtra-dhṛta kona līlā nā kaila varṇana
He saw them to be so extensive that he later felt that some had not been properly described.
- nityānanda-līlā-varṇane ha-ila āveśa
- caitanyera śeṣa-līlā rahila avaśeṣa
He ecstatically described the pastimes of Lord Nityānanda, but the later pastimes of Caitanya Mahāprabhu remained untold.
- sei saba līlāra śunite vivaraṇa
- vṛndāvana-vāsī bhaktera utkaṇṭhita mana
The devotees of Vṛndāvana were all very anxious to hear those pastimes.
- vṛndāvane kalpa-drume suvarṇa-sadana
- mahā-yogapīṭha tāhāṅ, ratna-siṁhāsana
In Vṛndāvana, in a great place of pilgrimage underneath the desire trees, is a golden throne bedecked with jewels.
- tāte vasi’ āche sadā vrajendra-nandana
- ‘śrī-govinda-deva’ nāma sākṣāt madana
On that throne sits the son of Nanda Mahārāja, Śrī Govindadeva, the transcendental Cupid.
- rāja-sevā haya tāṅhā vicitra prakāra
- divya sāmagrī, divya vastra, alaṅkāra
Varieties of majestic service are rendered to Govinda there. His garments, ornaments and paraphernalia are all transcendental.
- sahasra sevaka sevā kare anukṣaṇa
- sahasra-vadane sevā nā yāya varṇana
In that temple of Govindajī, thousands of servitors always render service to the Lord in devotion. Even with thousands of mouths, one could not describe this service.
- sevāra adhyakṣa—śrī-paṇḍita haridāsa
- tāṅra yaśaḥ-guṇa sarva-jagate prakāśa
In that temple the chief servitor was Śrī Haridāsa Paṇḍita. His qualities and fame are known all over the world.
- suśīla, sahiṣṇu, śānta, vadānya, gambhīra
- madhura-vacana, madhura-ceṣṭā, mahā-dhīra
He was gentle, tolerant, peaceful, magnanimous, grave, sweet in his words and very sober in his endeavors.
- sabāra sammāna-kartā, karena sabāra hita
- kauṭilya-mātsarya-hiṁsā nā jāne tāṅra cita
He was respectful to everyone and worked for the benefit of all. Diplomacy, envy and jealousy were unknown to his heart.
- kṛṣṇera ye sādhāraṇa sad-guṇa pañcāśa
- se saba guṇera tāṅra śarīre nivāsa
The fifty qualities of Lord Kṛṣṇa were all present in his body.
- yasyāsti bhaktir bhagavaty akiñcanā
- sarvair guṇais tatra samāsate surāḥ
- harāv abhaktasya kuto mahad-guṇā
- mano-rathenāsati dhāvato bahiḥ
“In one who has unflinching devotional faith in Kṛṣṇa, all the good qualities of Kṛṣṇa and the demigods are consistently manifested. However, one who has no devotion to the Supreme Personality of Godhead has no good qualifications because he is engaged by mental concoction in material existence, which is the external feature of the Lord.”
- paṇḍita-gosāñira śiṣya—ananta ācārya
- kṛṣṇa-premamaya-tanu, udāra, sarva-ārya
Ananta Ācārya was a disciple of Gadādhara Paṇḍita. His body was always absorbed in love of Godhead. He was magnanimous and advanced in all respects.
- tāṅhāra ananta guṇa ke karu prakāśa
- tāṅra priya śiṣya iṅha—paṇḍita haridāsa
Ananta Ācārya was a reservoir of all good qualities. No one can estimate how great he was. Paṇḍita Haridāsa was his beloved disciple.
- caitanya-nityānande tāṅra parama viśvāsa
- caitanya-carite tāṅra parama ullāsa
Paṇḍita Haridāsa had great faith in Lord Caitanya and Nityānanda. Therefore he took great satisfaction in knowing about Their pastimes and qualities.
- vaiṣṇavera guṇa-grāhī, nā dekhaye doṣa
- kāya-mano-vākye kare vaiṣṇava-santoṣa
He always accepted the good qualities of Vaiṣṇavas and never found fault in them. He engaged his heart and soul only to satisfy the Vaiṣṇavas.
- nirantara śune teṅho ‘caitanya-maṅgala’
- tāṅhāra prasāde śunena vaiṣṇava-sakala
He always heard the reading of Śrī Caitanya-maṅgala, and all the other Vaiṣṇavas used to hear it by his grace.
- kathāya sabhā ujjvala kare yena pūrṇa-candra
- nija-guṇāmṛte bāḍāya vaiṣṇava-ānanda
Like the full moon, he illuminated the entire assembly of Vaiṣṇavas by speaking Śrī Caitanya-maṅgala, and by the nectar of his qualities he increased their transcendental bliss.
- teṅho ati kṛpā kari’ ājñā kailā more
- gaurāṅgera śeṣa-līlā varṇibāra tare
By his causeless mercy he ordered me to write about the last pastimes of Śrī Caitanya Mahāprabhu.
- kāśīśvara gosāñira śiṣya—govinda gosāñi
- govindera priya-sevaka tāṅra sama nāñi
Govinda Gosāñi, the priest engaged in the service of Lord Govinda in Vṛndāvana, was a disciple of Kāśīśvara Gosāñi. There was no servant more dear to the Govinda Deity.
- yādavācārya gosāñi śrī-rūpera saṅgī
- caitanya-carite teṅho ati baḍa raṅgī
Śrī Yādavācārya Gosāñi, a constant associate of Śrīla Rūpa Gosvāmī, was also very enthusiastic in hearing and chanting about Lord Caitanya’s pastimes.
- paṇḍita-gosāñira śiṣya—bhūgarbha gosāñi
- gaura-kathā vinā āra mukhe anya nāi
Bhūgarbha Gosāñi, a disciple of Paṇḍita Gosāñi, was always engaged in topics regarding Lord Caitanya, knowing nothing else.
- tāṅra śiṣya—govinda pūjaka caitanya-dāsa
- mukundānanda cakravartī, premī kṛṣṇadāsa
Among his disciples were Caitanya dāsa, who was a priest of the Govinda Deity, as well as Mukundānanda Cakravartī and the great devotee Kṛṣṇadāsa.
- ācārya-gosāñira śiṣya—cakravartī śivānanda
- niravadhi tāṅra citte caitanya-nityānanda
Among the disciples of Ananta Ācārya was Śivānanda Cakravartī, in whose heart Lord Caitanya and Nityānanda constantly dwelled.
- āra yata vṛndāvane baise bhakta-gaṇa
- śeṣa-līlā śunite sabāra haila mana
In Vṛndāvana there were also many other great devotees, all of whom desired to hear the last pastimes of Lord Caitanya.
- more ājñā karilā sabe karuṇā kariyā
- tāṅ-sabāra bole likhi nirlajja ha-iyā
By their mercy, all these devotees ordered me to write of the last pastimes of Śrī Caitanya Mahāprabhu. Because of their order only, although I am shameless, I have attempted to write this Caitanya-caritāmṛta.
- vaiṣṇavera ājñā pāñā cintita-antare
- madana-gopāle gelāṅ ājñā māgibāre
Having received the order of the Vaiṣṇavas but being anxious within my heart, I went to the temple of Madana-mohana in Vṛndāvana to ask His permission also.
- daraśana kari kailuṅ caraṇa vandana
- gosāñi-dāsa pūjārī kare caraṇa-sevana
When I visited the temple of Madana-mohana, the priest Gosāñi dāsa was serving the feet of the Lord, and I also prayed at the Lord’s lotus feet.
- prabhura caraṇe yadi ājñā māgila
- prabhu-kaṇṭha haite mālā khasiyā paḍila
When I prayed to the Lord for permission, a garland from His neck immediately slipped down.
- saba vaiṣṇava-gaṇa hari-dhvani dila
- gosāñi-dāsa āni’ mālā mora gale dila
As soon as this happened, the Vaiṣṇavas standing there all loudly chanted, “Haribol!” and the priest, Gosāñi dāsa, brought me the garland and put it around my neck.
- ājñā-mālā pāñā āmāra ha-ila ānanda
- tāhāṅi karinu ei granthera ārambha
I was greatly pleased to have the garland signifying the order of the Lord, and then and there I commenced to write this book.
- ei grantha lekhāya more ‘madana-mohana’
- āmāra likhana yena śukera paṭhana
Actually Śrī Caitanya-caritāmṛta is not my writing but the dictation of Śrī Madana-mohana. My writing is like the repetition of a parrot.
- sei likhi, madana-gopāla ye likhāya
- kāṣṭhera puttalī yena kuhake nācāya
As a wooden doll is made to dance by a magician, I write as Madana-gopāla orders me to do so.
- kulādhidevatā mora—madana-mohana
- yāṅra sevaka—raghunātha, rūpa, sanātana
I accept as my family Deity Madana-mohana, whose worshipers are Raghunātha dāsa Gosvāmī, Śrī Rūpa Gosvāmī and Sanātana Gosvāmī.
- vṛndāvana-dāsera pāda-padma kari’ dhyāna
- tāṅra ājñā lañā likhi yāhāte kalyāṇa
I took permission from Śrīla Vṛndāvana dāsa Ṭhākura by praying at his lotus feet, and upon receiving his order I have attempted to write this auspicious literature.
- caitanya-līlāte ‘vyāsa’—vṛndāvana-dāsa
- tāṅra kṛpā vinā anye nā haya prakāśa
Śrīla Vṛndāvana dāsa Ṭhākura is the authorized writer on the pastimes of Lord Caitanya. Without his mercy, therefore, one cannot describe these pastimes.
- mūrkha, nīca, kṣudra muñi viṣaya-lālasa
- vaiṣṇavājñā-bale kari eteka sāhasa
I am foolish, lowborn and insignificant, and I always desire material enjoyment; yet by the order of the Vaiṣṇavas I am greatly enthusiastic to write this transcendental literature.
- śrī-rūpa-raghunātha-caraṇera ei bala
- yāṅra smṛte siddha haya vāñchita-sakala
- The lotus feet of Śrī Rūpa Gosvāmī and Raghunātha dāsa Gosvāmī are my source of strength. Remembering their lotus feet can fulfill all one’s desires.
- śrī-rūpa-raghunātha-pade yāra āśa
- caitanya-caritāmṛta kahe kṛṣṇadāsa
Praying at the lotus feet of Śrī Rūpa and Śrī Raghunātha, always desiring their mercy, I, Kṛṣṇadāsa, narrate Śrī Caitanya-caritāmṛta, following in their footsteps.