BG 11.39 (1972)
- वायुर्यमोऽग्निर्वरुणः शशाङ्कः
- प्रजापतिस्त्वं प्रपितामहश्च ।
- नमो नमस्तेऽस्तु सहस्रकृत्वः
- पुनश्च भूयोऽपि नमो नमस्ते ॥३९॥
- vāyur yamo 'gnir varuṇaḥ śaśāṅkaḥ
- prajāpatis tvaṁ prapitāmahaś ca
- namo namas te 'stu sahasra-kṛtvaḥ
- punaś ca bhūyo 'pi namo namas te
vāyuḥ—air; yamaḥ—controller; agniḥ—fire; varuṇaḥ—water; śaśāṅkaḥ—moon; prajāpatiḥ—Brahmā; tvam—You; prapitāmahaḥ—grandfather; ca—also; namaḥ—offering respects; namaḥ te—again I offer my respects unto You; astu—are being; sahasra-kṛtvaḥ—a thousand times; punaḥ ca—and again; bhūyaḥ—again; api—also; namaḥ—offer my respects; namaḥ te—offering my respects unto You.
You are air, fire, water, and You are the moon! You are the supreme controller and the grandfather. Thus I offer my respectful obeisances unto You a thousand times, and again and yet again!
The Lord is addressed here as air because the air is the most important representation of all the demigods, being all-pervasive. Arjuna also addresses Kṛṣṇa as the grandfather because He is the father of Brahmā, the first living creature in the universe.